Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Leaf-cutting Ants in Ecuador

Here is a brief video that I just put together a few days ago. If you check my video channel (My videos on Youtube, you will find this one and several others that I have uploaded recently.  After Vilcabamba and Neverland farm, I spent nine days and nights in the big city of Cuenca (pop.500,000), which had favorably impressed me back in January, shortly after I arrived in the country. I had some illness there this time, first, two nights of nasty diarhea, and then a week later, I had such severe abdominal pain that I went to the emergency ward of the local hospital and spent a night there. OK now, and after I left Cuenca, I took a seven-hour bus ride to Macas, on the edge of the Amazon rainforest.  The bus ride cost $8 and took me (twice) up above 10,000 feet above sea level, before decending to the Amazon basin. My ears were popping and it was cold and damp at that altitude, even in the middle of the day. I spent three days in Macas, a city of 20,000 and found it to be smelly, hot and humid. Then I took a three hour bus ride further north to another small city on the edge of the jungle, Puyo, which is where I am now. Still hot and humid here in Puyo, but it doesn't smell as bad as Macas did.  I am now in a "luxury type resort" which costs me only $28 per night! Cheap hotels are $6 to $12 per night but, as they say, 'You get what you pay for'.

No comments: